Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Thirteen Reasons Why

I wanted to stop reading this book. I wanted to, but I didn't. And I'm glad that I didn't, because finishing it gave me a new perspective of the characters.

Let me start with what I did like: the premise. For those who may not have read it, A young man by the name of Clay gets a package filled with cassette tapes. As I am always intrigued by retro technology, I was eager to start this book. What's on the tapes is even more interesting, however, as it is the railings of one Hannah Baker, a young teenager who had recently committed suicide. The tapes go to thirteen people (each a reason) with a whole side devoted to them. Clay is on that list, and it's driving him nuts. What did he do?

All of this is intriguing, however, I found myself burdened by everything else. The dual narration seemed arduous. The writing style less than eloquent. Clay seemed like an interesting enough character. He was well drawn and believable as a high school kid in a messed-up situation. The character I had the most trouble with was Hannah.

I absolutely consider Hannah the villain in this book. She is supremely unlikable. Her voice is whiny and her reasons vindictive. Her action has obviously had a negative impact on her community and on the people in this book. I feel that the author made her like this on purpose--to show the impact that suicide can have on everyone around you.

I think every person has thought like this when they were younger. Someone makes you mad. What is the ultimate way to get them back? Make them a reason for your death. Of course I realize that Hannah must have been going through a hard place, but what high-schooler isn't? That's a time when the smallest thing can make you feel as though your life is over. I've seen worse than what Hannah's gone through, and those people have come out on the other side. 


However, not everyone does. I realize that this is probably the reason that a book like this exists. Ultimately, I can see how this book might be beneficial. Teenagers need to see that their actions do have consequences, and that they affect everyone around them. Even though I did not enjoy reading this book, I can perhaps--just maybe--see its usefulness to teens.

No comments:

Post a Comment